Heading to The Netherlands & Not Sure What to Expect? Well here we go through the top things that tourists should know when they visit The Netherlands.
1. It is The Netherlands, Not Holland. Holland is the name of two counties in The Netherlands.
2. The language of The Netherlands is Dutch, but as a tourist you really do not need to know any Dutch as the Dutch speak English extremely well throughout the country.
3. The Euro is the currency in The Netherlands and you can find ATMs all over the country. Credit cards are widely accepted as well.
4. The Netherlands is a small country with a very well developed transportation network. Therefore you can easily take trains all over the country in a fast and efficient way. Make sure you tap in and out with your tickets as you enter your platforms.
5. Biking is a very popular pastime and way to get around Dutch cities. There are a number of bike rental agencies throughout The Netherlands. Look for one near a train station and rent a bike for the day to explore, or sign up for one of the numerous bike tours around the country.
6. The Netherlands is rather safe for tourists. Do take care with pickpockets and extremely aggressive beggars in Amsterdam’s more popular areas. The bike line is for bikes only so watch out unless you want to get hit by a bike and yelled at by a local.
7. Drugs bring a lot of tourists to Amsterdam and the Dutch/German border. If you are going to The Netherlands to experiment with soft drugs make sure you go to a “Coffee House” they have menus and trained personnel that can help travelers. We do not recommend you do drugs and highly discourage travelers from doing this. However, we do know a number of tourists do go there for that. So please be safe, and speak with the coffee shop attendant about your previous experiences so they can help you.
9. The best things about the Netherlands are the quaint cities and towns like Haarlem, Leiden, Groningen, as well as the larger cities of Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The architecture and museums throughout the country really are outstanding. And yes you will see quite a few windmills as you explore The Netherlands.
10. The food is hearty in The Netherlands, make sure you try a bitter ballen or a traditional pancake or herring from one of the stalls. The market and food halls have tons of great treats for travelers. There are numerous international restaurants all over The Netherlands as well.
11. The Netherlands is not a cheap place to visit, however the prices are on par with the US & other major European destinations. Amsterdam accomodation will be your biggest expense. Therefore you may want to stay outside of Amsterdam to have a cheaper and more Dutch experience.
Filmed in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Copyright Mark Wolters 2018
The Don’ts of The Netherlands
10 Things That SHOCK Tourists about Amsterdam
5 Love & Hates of Visiting The Netherlands
USA Today & 10Best’s #1 Independent Travel Videographer 2014
FlipKey by TripAdvisor Top 10 Travel Bloggers 2014
Grab Wolters World Merchandise & Travel Gear at
Sony Alpha 6000: Our favorite camera for vlogging. One of the best selling cameras of all time and its not too expensive.
Osprey Meridian Carry-on Size Travel Backpack: This is THE backpack that all of the Wolters World family use. It fits in the overhead compartment, gives you a great day pack and has an awesome warranty. We always travel with one.
Duafire Travel Adapter: helps you plug into most countries plugs around the world.
Travel Strip: One plug for your normal device, four USB plugs as well, it saves a lot of trouble and outlets when you travel.
Backup Battery Pack: Essential for travelers wanting to have a backup batter charge for their phones, cameras, and devices.
Hey There Fellow Travelers! Thank you for watching our honest travel vlogs from all over this wonderful world. If you would like to get in contact with us please follow us & send us a message via our social media channels below. Also, if you like our travel videos please feel free to share them with other fellow travelers.
Follow Us At